The Mission of Our Lady of the Angels establishes a Catholic presence in the Humboldt Park area on Chicago’s west side. This area presently is one of the poorest neighborhoods in the City of Chicago. The purpose of the Mission is to assist the poor and evangelize through an apostolate of prayer, retreats and preaching.
Mention of Our Lady of the Angels brings to mind for many people the school fire of December 1, 1958, in which 92 students and three religious sisters perished.
In 2005, Cardinal George invited Fr. Bob Lombardo, CFR, to establish the Mission at the site of the tragic fire. Fr. Bob is one of the founding friars of the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal, along with Fr. Benedict Groeschel.
Presently, the former rectory houses a discernment community of several young adults who are desiring religious life as Franciscans. There is a chapel for prayer/adoration and eight bedrooms to accommodate people wishing to come for retreat or volunteer opportunities. It also serves as Fr. Bob’s headquarters from which he helps coordinate programs at the new Kelly Hall YMCA and oversees the renovation of the Convent across the street.
Whether they are young or old, hungry or addicted, homeless or friendless, Catholic Charities walks with its clients, bringing them help and hope. With 159 programs at 156 locations throughout Cook and Lake counties, they serve virtually every neighborhood and parish in the Chicagoland area. For 90 years, Catholic Charities has empowered families and individuals of all races and religious backgrounds to realize their full potential. Last year Catholic Charities touched the lives of more than 1.1 million people.
Lincoln Park Community Shelter
The Lincoln Park Community Shelter (LPCS) is comprehensive social service agency serving adult men and women who are experiencing homelessness. Located in Chicago’s Lincoln Park neighborhood, the LPCS has been providing shelter and other basic needs to our homeless neighbors for 25 years. Today, the LPCS provides interim housing, meals, and a targeted array of social services to over 300 people each year.
Ronald McDonald House
The Ronald McDonald House near Children’s Memorial Hospital opened its doors on April 28, 1977 as the first House in the Chicago area and the second Ronald McDonald House in the world. To date, this House has served more than 25,000 families from all corners of the United States and the world.
Built in the late 1800’s, this House was originally a private home, which was later converted into a convent before it became the Ronald McDonald House. The distinctive woodwork in the entry dating back to the original structure gives the House a truly home-like feel. With 21 bedrooms and immaculately kept lawns and gardens, the House in Chicago’s Lincoln Park community is a special home to many.
St. Ann’s School
In 2006, Saint Ann was named as one of three Magnificat schools in the country. Notre Dame Magnificat Schools are individual Catholic schools that have partnered with the University of Notre Dame to support and strengthen urban Catholic education. Through this partnership, Notre Dame seeks to leverage a variety of resources to support the Magnificat Schools in their efforts to improve academic achievement, strengthen Catholic identity, build community, and stabilize leadership.
Big Shoulders Fund
Big Shoulders provides support in a variety of areas working to leverage the greatest positive impact on the nearly 25,000 inner-city students served in Chicago. By offering numerous scholarships, patron programs, operating and capital grants, and after-school programs, the fund serves to address the various needs of Chicago’s Catholic schools and the students they educate.
Big Shoulders has a variety of one day service opportunities including Give Back Days. Not only are these great ways for you to give back, but they are a perfect way to bring a group together.