The month of May has been dedicated as a month to honor the serving example set by Fr. Ted Hesburgh, CSC, president emeritus of Notre Dame.
Besides our monthly service events, during the Hesburgh Month of Sevice we offer additional service opportunities throughout the Chicagoland area.
Notre Dame volunteers during the Hesburgh Month of Service have made an impact on several fronts. So come join Chicago area alumni this May!
Feeding the Hungry
- More than 3,500 meals served
- More than 80,000 meals for Haiti
- More than 20,000 lbs of food sorted
Ministering to the Needy
- 25 homes built or repaired
- One sing-a-long for senior citizens at a nursing home
- One refugee family welcomed to the United States
- 75 long-sleeved shirts collected for migrant farm workers
- One wheelchair ramp constructed for a senior citizen who is disabled
Providing for Children
- 28 wooden cubbies constructed in a first grade classroom at an ACE school
- $730 collected to buy books for an ACE school
- Staffed 2 sporting events for children with disabilities
- Painted a Boys & Girls Club gymnasium
- Two clubs collected supplies so that underprivileged children could go to summer camps